Tell us your idea or provide general feedback

English language requirement with IGCSE

Hi,

I completed both IGCSE Literature (English) and IGSE First Language English in Vietnam. However, on the Melbourne University website, it stated that "Applicants who have completed their GCSE […] in the United Kingdom can satisfy the University's English language requirements by achieving […] a grade of B in GCSE English."(https://futurestudents.unimelb.edu.au/admissions/entry-requirements/language-requirements)

I'd like an explanation as to why completing the same system and sitting the same exam paper in a different country is any less valid to completing GCSE English in the UK. After having spoken on the phone with a Melbourne University representative, Mitchell, even he could not provide an explanation as to why this was the case.

I feel that this is very unfair and is greatly frustrating. Despite completing two English subjects at the same level as GCSE and because I had completed the exam in a different country, my English requirements are not proficient enough. I strongly urge Melbourne University to review this English requirement as to prevent future students from this unfortunate situation. I would suggest that if Melbourne University were to reject GCSE/IGCSEs from other countries, then the discriminatory "grade of B in GCSE English" completed "in the United Kingdom" should not be on the website as well – especially if it is unexplainable.

If there is a justification of this requirement, please do explain it under the ‘English language requirement’ page. I will patiently await for your response.

Thank you very much for reading.

10 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)